Friday, March 10, 2017

3/10/2017 Almost Spring!

Yesterday the temperature made it above 70 degrees! It was a glorious day! I wore jeans and put on white socks and sneakers.

I haven't walked or explored the very back corner of the property for years. It is usually covered with heavy brush throughout most of the year. It's a thicket for critters. Several sad-looking trees are on my side of the fence, so it "gave pause" to my thinking whether to just let them "be" and not disturb the "natural order of things".
Back Corner Thicket
Back Corner View
Old Willow "hanging in there"
The old willow has undergone another major shaping surgery this fall. Pruning out the dead wood has given it new life. Thoughts of  "The Wind in the Willows" are triggered as  breezes blow through its tender branches.

There are a few forsythia bushes in full bloom. I'm always amazed by their brilliance and happy they can be counted as survivors for another year.
Forsythia

I didn't think there would be any crocus this year, but a few did pop up after all (purple ones and some white and purple striped ones, too).

The daffodils are doing well. I did bring in a bunch last week when another cold snap came roaring through. I appreciated my son sending me a message via Facebook alerting me to the impending danger to daffodils!

Daffodils - 3/10/2017


Daffodils last awhile and sometimes give off an interesting fragrance. As they gradually die away their blossoms turn into tissue paper remnants. I scatter them out into the flower graveyard among a bed of English ivy.
Daffodils - 3/10/2017

New plant catalogs keep arriving in my mailbox. I continue to toss them into the recycle bin. It's the NoBuy2017 challenge on Facebook that keeps me from sending in another order for more daffodil bulbs.
However, I do think a row of crocus along the edge of the front flower bed would make next Spring quite special.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment