Monday, May 8, 2017

I've been sick! 5/8/2017

It's been months since I've felt 100%. I usually am a high-energetic, productive human being!

However, this winter I caught "the bug" that was "going 'round" and I do believe it got the better of me in spite of all the daily healthy choices I make each day. I'm not a "pill popper" nor do I subscribe to the yearly flu shot. I figure my own immune system can knock out anything if given the chance.

When I'm sick, I rest. Chicken soup works, too. I get my weekly B12 & B Complex shots at our local health food store. I also get a magnesium shot at least once a month. I stay away from sugar and stay grain free (Wheat Belly Lifestyle). I exercise by walking laps around the driveway, doing arm pushups, lifting light-weight bar bells and sometimes I use the Pilates machine. I also go to the acupuncturist once a month to keep my system "in balance".

Usually "all is well" with me. After recovering (or so I thought) from the flu bout, I developed an on-going case of vertigo. It remains, but I am adjusting. I have friends who  have friends that have dizziness, too. I ask a lot of questions about their experiences with it, what advice they've received from doctors, etc. I know that it is gradually subsiding and isn't debilitating for me. I just am careful about how I move my head about and don't do any quick bending. My friend will be bringing me copies of her exercises to help, too.

When I turned 80 in January it seemed logical to get my eyes checked. I hadn't gone for an exam for several years, but my glasses worked "just fine". The ordeal of changing glasses started with getting an exam at Walmart's, where my former optician no longer worked. I was told by the employees that that doctor had taken his records with him and so they had no record of my past prescription. Fine!

So I got my exam and new lenses put into my sturdy frames. Being generous, I donated my extra pair of glasses which I never worn for the Lions eyeglass donation box. And, I didn't ask for the lenses back. So I was stuck with the new glasses and immediately having problems adjusting to the new prescription. Now I'm sitting close to my computer screen and adjusting to shadow letters. I did go back to double-check the status of these glasses, but everything came right back at me - same prescription, but further request for me to check out a growing cataract! What next? I ask, What next?

Not satisfied with those results I immediately called Lenscrafters where I used to get my eye exam and eye glasses. Because it was a "slow Tuesday" they could examine my eyes if I could "be there right away". I went and repeated the exam with only a slight difference in the prescription. And, again, I was told to go and get a consultation for the cataract situation. And, so, it went! And, so I will call for the consultation after asking several friends for recommendations for their best referral.

To top all this nonsense, I developed a UTI! To "go" further into all the details of horrible pain and suffering through two rounds of antibiotics, etc. I finally got "relief" by asking for help from friends at our local health food store - d mannose, oregano oil and advice. I seem to be "on the mend" with all the input from family, friends and doctors. Finally! Finally!

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment