Monday, September 22, 2014

Sept. 22, 2014 - A Monday

Here it is again - another Monday - this time it's a chilly but sunny Monday. I'm already in "full steam ahead" mode - making out my daily "to-do" list - checking it off, check by check and awarding myself a "star" for thinking a particular checked-off item to be "special".

Wow Windowbox guys were here re-doing the nine window boxes (out front) for fall. The billowing geraniums and other plants are gone now.  A modified version of last year's fall boxes looks good - winter pansies, purple cabbages, some potato vines, a pumpkin and a "thriller" grass plant in the middle of each box completes the fall theme.

I have six empty planting boxes (QVC) hanging on the railings along the porch outside The Cottage. I hope to fill them with potting soil and maybe plant them, too. I have two big pots at the base of the patio steps that need "something", too. Of course, it would be something "deer-proof". (I figure I spend several hundred dollars a year "deer-proofing").

I'm still following Wheat Belly lifestyle and am really looking forward to Dr. William Davis' PBS program being shown on CET, our local PBS station.

Went to Dayton Opera yesterday - leisurely driving the backroads - enjoying the scenery (pre-fall) - some open fields, some country markets and small towns. Saw "Russian Panorama" an amazing presentation of music, choral singing and ballet. 

I'm still in the middle of a lot of paperwork - putting Mama's files in good order for an interview/filming here at The Cottage.  I'm learning so much more about how much my mother accomplished during her life-time. After watching "The Roosevelt's" on PBS this past week I realize now how altruism - "doing good" was imbedded into the minds of people during my mother and dad's generation. They had endured the depression and World War II. People suffered greatly and those who could help, did help. Mama's mother said to her daughter, "You are here to DO GOOD"!

And so, Mama (now Angel Lois) was an accomplished person who did DO GOOD and I'm now finding out things I never "internalized" at the time she was doing them! Here I am going on age seventy-eight - hoping to make it to at least 102 with all my "facilities" in tact so that I can record all this family history that's lurking in many file cabinets, file folers and archive boxes.

I've ordered supplies that help me with this project - colored file folders, Big Roo & Little Roo - folding file boxes from Boxie company and archive boxes from Exposures and from Bigso. I know to have special books rebound at Ohio Book Store - downtown Cincinnati. Writing an Angel Lois blog will help me keep her story "in circulation". And so, with energy and encouragement from my Facebook friends over on Homemaker's Encouragement - I will "do good", too! Onward!



No comments:

Post a Comment