Thursday, October 24, 2013

Choosing to be Proactive

For too long I've been notified by "43 Things to Do" to WRITE! Seems I have plenty of ideas and thoughts to share, but getting to doing it is a "problem". The "problem" is procrastination - big time procrastination. Something else always seems to be more important than writing. It's time for me to realize that it won't get done unless I do it. I can think myself silly telling myself that I'll do it. My business card says, "Artist, Writer, Organizer". So what's the "problem"? It is absolutely and truly procrastination.

Procrastination is a habit that can stifle creativity. Can? It does snuff out all those bits of special stories to be shared, poems to be read and music to be heard. What to do, what to do?  Seems simple enough to say, "Just do it". But, there is more involved in "doing it".

After several years of following various sites for home management and a lifetime reading many,  books on time management, home/office organization I've finally accepted the fact that putting a task at the top of "The Priority List", setting an appointed time for the task, calling myself "boss" of myself (working for me) and using a digital timer - set in 15 minute segments will prove to be the "formula" for success in "getting the job done".

Right now the timer is at 12 minutes. It beeps every five minutes. At the end of 15 minutes it continues to beep until I reset it or it eventually quits beeping "on it's own". Phone calls are not accepted during this "working time". Music is nice - listening to WGUC classical station is a pleasant "backdrop" for writing. The font on this screen  is too small and so that will  be "adjusted" upward.

Being a "Widder Lady" has its challenges. I challenge myself to stay healthy by following the Wheat Belly Lifestyle. I started this journey 16 months ago and like what I am experiencing - energy, much more energy, some weight loss, strength building and aches/pains gone (for the most part). I'm doing my Yoga stretches, lifting some weights and walking around the circle driveway when the weather is nice.

I enjoy being a "homebody" - moving through the house from one end to the other, going up and down the stairs to the basement and outside down a few steps to the cottage. There is plenty of yard to enjoy and critters, too. Saw a squirrel enjoying a hickory nut - brought it with him half way up the Japanese Maple tree, stopped, peeled off the outer shell and finished off the inside nut then scampered on up to his nest somewhere up in one of the huge pine trees that surround the cottage.

There are many birds, too. Listening to their various calls, chirps and songs keep me alert. I like all the sounds around - the wind chimes, the crunchy-sounding leaves, crickets, tree frogs and katydids. The cicadas are gone now. Soon all the sounds of mowers and blowers will stop, too. It will be winter, soon. Yes, we may even have snowflakes before the day is over.

Listening to Rodriguez - beautiful guitar music now. The time is at 6 minutes. I'm almost done. Hooray I did it! Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment