Monday, May 2, 2016

Madeira Art Show - May Day 2016

May 1st, 2016 - May Day!

This was a very special day, indeed! Be this an essay or a diary entry, I'm happy to share this day with anyone who enjoys being "around and about".

Madeira is our local community for "togetherness". It's history begins with a railroad depot in the middle of town. The depot  survived various incarnations over the years - an ice cream parlor (twice), restaurant "Choo Choos" with walls of railroad memorabilia and an antique toy train running around a suspended track. It is now Depot Barbeque with the train tracks still intact but there is no antique toy train running around the edge of the upper walls.

I loved sitting in the bay window area of Choo Choos to see the tracks and sometimes even witness a train roar by. Going to Choo Choos meant special service by neighbor Jackie whose sister (I believe) had ownership in the place.

Today was the annual Madeira Art Show which has been in existence for many years - maybe as many as twenty-seven years (overheard someone say this) where talented people exhibit their art, jewelry, stained glass, pottery, clothing, toys, wood objects, soaps, lotions, stone oil lamps, garden decor and many other items - too many to mention.


My friend, Mary and I met at Coffee Please before we ventured down the street across the railroad tracks into the exhibit area which filled both sides of Miami Avenue between Railroad Avenue and Euclid Avenue. The weather was "perfect" at 11:00 a.m. Having a sunny, clear day was a "blessing" after having heavy storms all day and evening on Saturday, April 30th, 2016.

Tropical!
Quartz Nail File
We purchased some items, too. Especially nice is the quartz-bladed nail file - which we each purchased and probably will wish we had bought more to share with friends! I now have another square stained glass panel (my third) from the fellow whose business card is "around here, somewhere". The pottery business card holder "took my eye" - so I "just had to have it, too"! Then, I couldn't pass up the jewelry lady - who had a bracelet and earrings with a starfish and shell design - something that "matched my outfit" (and other outfits, as well).

Stained Glass Panel
So it goes - a wonderful time and my wallet emptied out of maybe $100 (haven't counted yet).

We stopped for lunch at A Tavola's outside patio. Beautiful! Wood tables, great service and delicious food - roasted cauliflower with balsamic dressing and asparagus salad (fresh) topped with a meatball (by special request by me). I only spent $12 plus $3 tip! And, I have enough leftovers for supper!

After a very pleasant time discussing topics that were of interest to both of us, we headed home. Mary bought some hosta plants from the local garden club ladies for twenty-five cents each! What a bargain!

I unloaded the car and have hung the stained glass panel, put the bag with the business card holder near my cart to take to my studio and am enjoying looking at the bracelet - on the kitchen counter.
The nail file has been used several times already. It's amazing!

Yes! This was a May Day to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment